Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a slew of movies

It's been a bit since my last post and I have seen a bunch of movies since the last post; part of this is because I got rid of my cable, and the other part of that is I ummmm, cough, saw some movies, wink, for free, wink wink, on this set of tubes called the internets. These are tough economic times, and a movie lover like myself has to do what he has to do in order to take in all of these movies. Listen, I subscribe to netflix, buy tons of movies, see tons of movies every year, so this is my justification for using the tubes of the internet to see some films. Anyhow, the first film I shall review, I actually plunked down $13 freaking dollars to see! Why was it $13? Well, apparently the fact that it was in 3D and I got some crappy plastic glasses means that it costs more. So, here is my reveiw of Coraline. In the next few days I will also review The Wrestler, which you should run out and see now, and I will do my review of an older movie, that I happened upon again and I forgot how awesome it was and that movie was Brick. So without further adieu, lets get to it punks.


Corraline is yet another incredible creation from the genius that is Henry Selik, who gave us the Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride to name a few. The true triumph is that a film using stop motion animation was even made in this day and age of all cgi films, and the attention to detail and love in every frame really shines through. If you can see this film in 3D, run out and do it in the next few weeks, because it truly is an amazing thing and wholly engrossing experience.

Coraline doesn't only just look good, but is a great story to boot. Here we have a childrens tale, that doesn't pull any punches and is actually a bit scary and dark. I love the fact that this movie dares to go to some of the scary places it does and that it gives kids credit for what they can handle, rather than pander to them with fart jokes and silly songs.

The story of Coraline isn't very complicated. It is really reminiscent of Alice In Wonder Land, where a young girl discover a hidden world. Coraline has moved to a new apartment with her parents that pay no attention to her because they are busy wrapped up in their work. Coraline discovers a secret door, that has a hole to a new world where everything she longs for comes true. She has her "other parents" there, and they play with her, and give her their full attention. Not only do her parents love, pay attention to her and play with her, but the world is full of magic gardens, neighbors who put on elaborate plays for audiences full of dogs, and another neighbor that has a circus of trained, acrobatic mice. All of the sequences in the other world is where the movie really shines, bursting with imagination and incredible characters and creatures. Of course all is not what it seems, and there is a dark undertone to all that goes on in the other world, including the fact that all of the characters which populate the world have buttons sewed in place of their eyes, which Coraline's other mother also wants her to do.

Look, there is really no need to go further into the plot details. You know whether you want to see this type of movie or not. If you enjoyed Henry Selick's other movies and you like the writer, Neil Gaiman, then this is a home run for you. My only real quibbles with the movie overall is there was a little too much exposition up front, it doesn't spend enough time in the truly magical other world, and when the shit hits the fan in the end and we find out what is really going on, it wraps up just a little too easily. These are minor problems in a truly beautiful and fun movie. This is a kids movie, but it definitely isn't so lowbrow that adults also can also love it as well. Seriously, go see this in 3D while you still have the chance because it will only be in 3D for the next few weeks. I really enjoyed myself in this one and it was great escape, that took me back to my childhood for a few hours.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I loved this movie! I just saw it in the theater, sadly not 3-D, but I thought it was amazing looking--and of the three films (Coraline, Corpse Bride, and The Nightmare before etc.) it is my fave.